MURFEESBORO, Ark. — Crater of Diamonds State Park will celebrate its golden anniversary with speakers, exhibits and even a scavenger hunt this weekend.
The Crater of Diamonds 50th Anniversary will include the 14th Annual Crater Famous Diamonds Exhibit to give guests a good look at some of the finest and most interesting gems found in the park, where the public can search for diamonds and diamonds. other precious stones.
Another highlight is the 26th Annual Prospectors Scavenger Hunt for bottles and painted stones, redeemable for a variety of prizes from area businesses, hidden in the diamond search area.
At 4 p.m. Friday, Retired Parks and Tourism Executive Director Richard Davies and Retired Park Superintendent Jim Cannon will speak behind the visitor center about the park’s early days. Davies is a Little Rock native who worked for the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism for over 40 years.
Immediately after, the park will unveil a new exhibit on the 8.52-carat Esperanza Diamond, discovered at the park in June 2015. Participants may bring chairs or blankets to sit on during these activities.
On Saturday, the Prospector’s Scavenger Hunt will take place and park staff will organize games during the day for visitors of all ages.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, park visitors can meet park diamond diggers and view dozens of magnificent diamonds at the Famous Crater Diamond Exhibit in the Diamond Discovery Center classroom of the park. This year’s exhibitors include:
• The Houran Diamond Collection – private collection
• The Esperanza Diamond – presented by Loyd Stanley, retired jeweler and owner of Stanley Jewelers Gemologist
• Dawn Barnes – daughter of longtime park visitors and diamond diggers Donald and Mollie Mayes
• Sam Jones – regular Crater diamond digger
• Kevin Kinard: Discoverer of the 9.04 carat Kinard Friendship Diamond
• Scott Kreykes – regular Crater diamond digger
• Kenny and Melissa Oliver: discoverers of numerous Crater diamonds, including the 2.44 carat Silver Moon Diamond in March 2011
• Jason Rigdon – regular park visitor and Crater diamond digger
• Troy Savage – regular park visitor and Crater diamond digger
• Louella Terrell — Crater Diamond Collector
(Crater of Diamonds State Park is located at 209 State Park Road in Murfreesboro. All 50th Anniversary event activities are free with purchase of entry to Diamond Search Area: $10 for 13 year olds and up, $6 for ages 6-12, 5-year-olds free For more information, contact Crater of Diamonds State Park at 870-285-3113 or [email protected])